Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Paint Week

This is me, recovering from Paint Week.




So, nobody's heard from me in a while. That's because I'm still recovering from paint week. 2 weeks ago. What they want you to believe is that children learning and being creative is a very quiet, serene process, like this picture here:




But, it's a lie! All of it. When you bring out the paint, children, who are already prone to be maniacs, turn into super-sized maniacs, commiting crimes you never thought possible for children. Suddenly, I felt as if I was in a scene from this movie:



I never thought I'd have to say, "Xandria, do NOT paint Jose!" to sixth graders. And surely children know how to wash their hands, right? Wrong. Surely they know not to deliberately dump tempera paint on the floor, right? Wrong again.
This was also the week the entire school had to run out of paper towels. I'm not joking.

This, my friends, is the stuff of greek tragedies.
Somehow, someway, I managed NOT to gouge my eyes out or drive my cousin to suicide or kill my mother or kill myself, or accidently drink some poison. But, it was a close call.

Now, it's don't talk at all week, a.k.a. express yourself silently week. See, I'm learning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered telling them to pretend they have no arms and legs and have to paint with the brush between their teeth? That serves the dual purpose of limiting the damage they can do and shutting them up! Give it a shot!

Queen, III said...

you know, I think i'll try it next time! Tell me, have you tried it?

Fork said...

Of course, there's the probability that the little rugrats will gag on their paint brushes. And last time I checked, even the most avant garde of museums don't consider throw-up to be art.

But I checked a long time ago. They might have changed their policy on throw-up art since then.

Queen, III said...

Let's hope so! It could be a lucritive market!