Monday, September 11, 2006

Why Match-dot-com was a Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Idea, Part 2

And we're back. To why match-dot-com was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea (for me), Part 2.

So, here we are at date number 2. This one isn't nearly as juicy as the first, but diverting, nonetheless.

His name: Eric

Occupation: some kind of sports supplement salesman

His gimmick to get into my pants: he had no apparant gimmick. (I know!!! Hard to believe, isn't it??)

Number of dates: 2

Eric was a nice guy. He was a BIG guy, but had played tennis in college. He was a body builder or something like that presently, but he also had a huge gut that you could tell he was uncomfortable with. I mean, if he was a tennis player, I'm sure that at one point he was incredibly thin. Have you ever seen a fat tennis player?? But, he was a pretty nice guy. So, we go out. He has a fairly decent sense of humor, but we have almost NOTHING in common and I spend the entire night scrounging for conversational topics. It was so exhausting.

He actually took me out to the nicest sushi place in town and spent a pretty penny on our dinner. We dined like Kings!!! We had the best wine, the best sushi, fabulous appetizers, and tremendous dessert. I was stuffed full to the brim! I think that we had planned to go to the movies after dinner, but we were so full that we decided to just go rent a movie and watch it at his place.

We rent a movie. We start watching the movie, and during the previews of the movie a Pizza Hut commercial is aired. I say, "Mmmm....Pizza." But I wasn't hungry, I was just trying to fill the empty silence with a little idle conversation about pizza, since everyone loves pizza, it's an easy topic, right?

Here it takes a tragic turn for the worst.

He says, "You hungry? You want to order a pizza?"

I'm dumbfounded. A pizza??!! But, we only just ate! I'm still really, really full of sushi and the dessert that I said I didn't want but you ordered anyway and I was forced to eat. I was just trying to make conversation!

I force a laugh, "No, silly! I'm not hungry! You just stuffed me full of fancy sushi!"

"Oh, come on! You're hungry, I can tell! I'll order a pizza for us." And he picks up the phone and orders pizza.

I'm so not joking. I think after the order was placed I made some jokes about what a big pig I was, mainly because I thought he was a big pig and I didn't want to accidently let it slip that I thought so. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it was all I could think of to deal with the situation. I had to act like it was me who wanted the pizza all along, because otherwise, I'd have to act like he wanted the pizza. And if I acknowleged the reality of the situation, it would just make everything so awkard, because then my subtext would be so obvious: "You huge fat-@ss. We just ate a bunch of sushi and now you want PIZZA?? Are you crazy??"

He was a nice guy, and I just couldn't be that much of a b!tch on the first date. We continued to watch the movie in somewhat awkard silence. The pizza came. We ate it. Even though my stomach was about to explode, I ate it. The movie was over. And here's the real clincher:
he didn't even try to make a move! I was perplexed, but figured I should get while the gettin' was good! Man, did I scee-dadle! I couldn't believe that he didn't try to stuff his tongue down my throat!! It was great! But, it didn't make me like him any more, unfortunately. I just kept thinking, "If I were to date him much at all, I'd be as big as a whale!! And everyone knows I like to eat, but even I have my limits!!"

We had one more date. It was fairly uneventful, or it must have been because I don't remember what happened. What I do remember is I never kissed him. Phenomenal.

We wrote a few emails and called a few times, but after that it pretty much fizzled. It was probably for the best, though. Who wants to eat themselves into oblivion? Not me. No, sir, not even me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have excused yourself to the restroom and stuck your finger down your throat. Nothing says love like women who isn't afriad to vomit on the second date.

Queen, III said...

I've never tried that, nor have I even for a moment considered it even once. And you say that men really think it means love? Huh. I'll have to try it next time.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, baby. Nothing's hotter than vomit breath. I'm getting all hot just thinking about what's stuck in your teeth the second time.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...

too little chemistry
+
too much food
=
not a winning combination

Sarah said...

Another title might be "Carrie Bradshaw meets Mr. Pig" to add to your "Sex and Everycity" column.

Fork said...

I know this is true, but still...I find it a little difficult to SWALLOW.